Monday, January 19, 2009

This Is What I Was Talking About in my Previous Post...

I can't argue that the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. stole my idea for their new series "Canada's Next Prime Minster" because as far as I know I have never had any contact with them, but their idea of a reality show to pick Canada's NEXT TOP POLITICIAN is one that I had conceived quite some time ago. Of course, my idea was a joke mentioned during the course of a dinner, not a serious idea pitched to television producers and executives. But all this is neither here nor there. It was only a matter of time before Project Runway met the Political Process.

If the challenges are set up realistically and correctly, I am sure this show will highlight what political novices are able to accomplish given limited time and resources. In other words, this show will be exactly like the U.S. Congress, but with one major exception. The word 'limited'. At the rate Congress is printing out money, we may have to ask Zimbabwe for advice on how to print out a $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bill. (I guess we'd have to put Bush's face on the currency.)

The danger with this type of program is that politics will now have officially entered the rarefied world of Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson and all the other schlocks who came to fame through reality TV. Is nothing sacred anymore? Is our democracy turning into IDIOCRACY? Or am I overreacting? Is this show nothing more than a platform for Alex Trebek to be the next Senator of New York State? Governor of California? Antichrist of the World?

No comments: