Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Day at the Movies

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I didn't know there was going to be so much work in planning a trekking trip to Peru, but now that it's done I can't wait to get on the plane. And speaking of trekking, I went to see the new Star Trek picture today, desperate to catch it before I left. I don't really see a need to review it because either you already saw it on Friday or aren't planning to see it at all. I loved it! It was everything I hoped it would be and more, on account of all the unexpected humor. A lot of people in the audience were clearly loving it as much as I was, clapping when Leonard Nimoy appeared on screen (how time has flown) and again when the credits started rolling.

During the previews was this little trailer for Pixar's latest, Up!, that stars an adorable sounding, chubby Asian kid!!! How awesome is that. It seems like Pixar really did their homework on this one, tapping into the Asian stereotype of the kid with the book smarts who doesn't always know how to apply his knowledge to the real world. I can't wait to see myself in this movie!

3 comments:

Rob said...

Yeah Star Trek was great ... I saw it Sunday night and as you said, Leonard Nimoy got his round of applause, Trekkies got the inside humor and people did applaud at the end.

UP! is a bit of a gamble by Pixar given that the main characters, an old man and a chubby kid, are not your typical leads for an animated film. Besides the box office appeal, the merchandising sales might not be as good as for other Pixar films.

I love animation and I'm looking forward to this movie but I think Disney investors are a bit nervous.

The trailer people seemed to be most excited about was for the G.I. Joe movie.

Enjoy your wild adventures in Peru!

Raven said...

Have a great trip! Take lots of pictures! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I haven't seen Star Trek yet, but I do plan to see it, so I don't fit into either of your two categories. :)

dannie said...

i really want to see star trek!! even though i don't watch the series. UP seems like a really cute movie, and i didn't even realize the boy was Asian until you mentioned it.